Condé Nast Special Interest Publications Group

Since 2015, I’ve been the head of production in the SIP Group at Condé Nast. Each year we produce between 20-30 issues ranging from stand-alone specials created by our editors spanning the brands at Condé Nast to brand-specific specials in partnership with their editors, as well as custom publishing and branded content projects for external clients. We work on a variety of projects throughout the year, often concurrently as our schedule demands.

In the day-to-day flow, I am working with editors, copy editors, and art directors, as well as supervising production freelancers, to make sure text is fitting and errors are corrected throughout the stages of routings, all the while ensuring that we are on track to meet our deadlines. At the same time I am marking up and sending out hi-res art for color corrections and managing color shows through final art approval. Throughout the process, I am fine-tuning the layouts, looking for precision and consistency throughout each section. I make the final changes before shipping, working with the prepress team to foresee and fix potential printing difficulties, and I complete the final approvals before the final files are sent to the printer.

Below is a selection of projects showing the variety of work we’ve completed. 


Digital Editions

In 2010, when iPads were first released, magazines began adding digital editions of their issues. I started at The New Yorker at the launch of their first digital issue, helping figure out the Adobe DPS software that was still in development with minimal documentation. I continued there over the next year managing the close process every week, creating InDesign and HTML layouts for 47 issues a year, building interactive elements, and helping on research and development both internally and with Adobe for improving the digital workflow.

I went on to work on the digital editions of many other publications, including GQ, Martha Stewart Weddings, Bon Appétit, Allure, and Glamour. Pulling from the print layouts to set up the initial digital files, we would send them to the art team for them complete or approve, and before continuing on to finalize interactive features, route the layouts through copy checks, export the files, and troubleshoot the output via DPS.

Later I helped the design team at Verisk after they brought their quarterly newsletter Visualize to the iPad. They found the Apple-approval process overwhelming and brought me in to move their DPS-created app into a multi-folio version, as well as redesign the layouts for digital. I worked with them on several issues handling the digital design as well as creating interactive features, publishing the approved folios, and updating the app with Apple.

My particular skills include a precise and efficient production eye as well as an in-depth understanding of the capabilities of the software and techniques to help create efficient and streamlined workflows. Over time, as the popularity of the digital editions waned, I moved more into the print realm.


Cambridge University Press

As the designer for the ESL website for Cambridge University Press, I managed both web design and development as well as email marketing.

I worked with the development team in the UK on a site-wide replacement project that replaced a collection of static mini-sites with a dynamic CMS. An integrated system of banners utilized artwork from the annual print catalog across the different sections of the site.

The homepage featured a flash element showing a series of major products and their corresponding methodology titles, illustrating the history of scholarship behind Cambridge’s English teaching products.

In addition to managing the visual design, I also oversaw the user acceptance testing and created documentation for the use of the site for the rest of the team. 


Infographics

Looking to expand my skills, I took a course through the NYU School of Professional Studies in Infographics.

In these examples the “Google & IBM” sidebar and “New Consumer Decision Making” presentation both worked with data provided by the teacher. Each student needed to interpret the content in a cohesive manner, creating or finding all the icons and visual elements.

For the “Voting Rights in the United States” feature, I researched and collected data to create the visualization from scratch, distilling the information into a concisely written and organized format.